Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Workout Fashions


Clothes: I love fashion. Putting together outfits and helping others plan theirs is a source of great pleasure for me. So naturally, when I became a fitness fan, my passion translated into workout clothes (although, I don’t actually know if I would wear neon pink spandex pants on a regular basis). I am that person that tries to match everything and who practices her color blocking skills for a run around the neighborhood. Before you start judging me as being ridiculous, let me point out that I am not going to a gym to workout, and so am not using my workout clothes as a means to attract men (although, if I attract notice while outdoors, than great!). However, even if I were doing so, there is nothing wrong with that. Why not dress cute? Working out tends to get us all gross and sweaty, so if dressing fashionably, or in a way that makes you feel confident, helps you to carry yourself better at a gym, in the presence of men (after all, gyms are a great place to meet men), then I say go for it!

Makeup: Okay, this is a tricky one, or if not tricky than a touchy subject. A lot of us, myself included, are uncomfortable with men, or women, seeing us au natural. There is something vulnerable and exposing about being seen in public with no makeup on. At the gym, however, or during any social workout, it doesn’t make sense to pile on the glamour when it will most likely be dripping off your face in ten minutes.
I joined a running group a couple of months ago and it was inevitable that the individuals present would at some point see me with no makeup. Obviously, the nights I go after work my face is still done up (I’m happy that they see me looking reasonably well at least once of twice a week). On Saturday mornings, however, or for early morning races, they are gifted with the sight of my beautiful face with nothing on it…with the exception of a little concealer under the eyes (I caved). If I showed up with intense eye makeup, or experimented with eye shadow colors as I do with my workout clothes, I don’t think I would be applauded for my efforts, but rather looked at strangely and clearly be the one out of place. Therefore, in my opinion, the gym, a yoga class, a running group, or any workout function, are not the places, and it is certainly not the time, for experimenting with colors (makeup), or experimenting in general (also in regards to makeup). I would like to think that men are too busy with their own workout, or too busy checking out your great technique, to pay much attention to whether or not you are wearing liner, mascara, shadow, etc. 

So what are your thoughts on workout fashions? Do you wear makeup to the gym? Experiment with workout clothes? Does the purchase of a new workout item motivate you to actually work on your fitness? (I have to say that this can be the case for me.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment