Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Grey's Anatomy


Yes, the title to this post is an incredibly popular television show; however, what you might not know is that it also stands for “adults acting like high school students hooking up with everyone in a small-ish group of people.”
(Don’t get me wrong here. I enjoyed the show when I watched it back in college, and if I were to watch it now, I am sure I would enjoy it again. My statement is not meant negatively, for if the truth were told, a little Grey’s Anatomy in one’s life can be quite enjoyable.)
I believe that when you have a group of individuals that spend a significant amount of time in one another’s company, it is only natural that one or more of them will at some point be attracted to someone else in that group. It’s like the sun rising every morning; it’s inevitable. The challenge comes with how do you handle this. Flirting is harmless up until a certain point (although, it has recently been argued to me that it is never harmless. We’ll leave this topic for another time), but once you cross that line, one, you can’t go back, and two, the group dynamic is forever shifted. That being said, to achieve such ends of group flirtation, there tends to be a collective effort. Grey’s Anatomy does not happen at the insistence (or persistence) of one individual, but of many. Granted, some might participate more so than others, and a little more aggressively; however, even those less proactive members have their fair share of the fun.
All of this begs the question: If presented with a similar situation, do you take the opportunity to enjoy yourself and have a good time, risking the potentially awkward outcome? Or do you sit back and wistfully daydream of what could be? Personally, (and if you couldn’t tell from my phrasing) I believe you should go for it. I spent way too much time sitting back watching things happen to other people, desperately hoping they would happen to me. When you finally realize at a deeper level that you can’t sit back and wait, that you have to go make things happen, you make things change and are willing to grasp Grey’s Anatomy-like opportunities. Obviously be cautious of how you step forward – it wouldn’t do to offend or to make enemies – and certainly comport yourself with class, but go have fun! If life gives you lemons, make lemonade (yes, I just said that). 

No comments:

Post a Comment