Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Friday, November 30, 2012

Oh Christmas Tree


My apartment has looked rather desolate and bare for the past two Christmases (and the only Christmases I have lived there…oops). Strange as it may seem, I continue to assist in the decoration of my parents’ home, yet never take the time to make my personal space look as festive and cheery.
To save you a lot of boring, personal mumbo jumbo I shall simply say that that is no more! This year I am going all out! Well…kind of. I’ve enlisted the aid of my mom (if I help her decorate, she can return the favor) to come over this weekend and 1. Help me do a MASSIVE cleaning (my apartment is in desperate need of this) and 2. Tote over decorations (I’m “borrowing” old Christmas decorations that my parents no longer use…per my mom’s influence in the household) and help decorate my space. All I need is a cheery fireplace and the scene is set. However, seeing as how that’s an impossibility, I’ll happily settle on the decorations and…a Christmas tree!!
The church at one entrance to my neighborhood always sells Christmas trees. The trees are small, adorable and basically the perfect size. Every time I drive by I gaze longingly at those perfect conifers and yes, fantasize about walking through the lines of trees with the snow falling down all around me. Oh, and I’d also burst into song, musical style, or like the Glee Christmas episode from a year or two back (Finn and Rachel were separated – yet still Christmas tree shopping together – and break into a rendition of Last Christmas). Although to reenact that accurately I’d need to not be in a relationship. I’ve got the covered! Oh wait…they had been dating and then broke up…kind of puts a damper on things. But it’s all good! I actually want to go Christmas tree shopping with friends or even solo. I’ll explain. Think about it this way. This is my first time buying my own Christmas tree, a live one to boot, and I want nothing but positive memories surrounding the experience. This is not to say that it wouldn’t be one if I experienced it with a guy; however, I hardly think he’ll be willing to burst into song…and then pay for my tree. I’m kidding!
In all seriousness though, I’m young, single and getting a Christmas tree would be an incredibly fun thing to do with my girlfriends. Think about how entertaining and ridiculous the situation could be. A couple girlfriends and me attempting to get the tree to my car, tying it on top, maneuvering it off my car, lugging it to my door, you get the picture. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. Who needs a guy when you can have times (imaginative at this point) like that?
At a time when people can often get down on themselves for not being in a relationship (all those Holiday parties, Christmas events/plans and New Years Eve certainly do not help), I have determined to stay positive and surround myself with great people and fun activities.  This is the time to be thankful for all we do have, not lament over what we feel is missing. I will definitely take this opportunity to not only settle myself more officially into my living space, but work on enhancing the relationships that already exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment