Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Creepy Race

I got roped into running this Valentine's Day race with my roommate and her boyfriend.  My roommate's friend was supposed to be my partner for the race, but she bailed. I ended up being my own partner in the race.  The race was super early in the morning, and I had fleeting thoughts of just skipping it.  The fact that I paid 20 bucks for the race and was guaranteed a sweet ass sweatshirt (btw, the sweatshirt is not as sweet as I thought it would be) made me suck it up and drive out to the start line.  Once I was there I started to feel more enthusiastic about the race.  I had a really good playlist on my phone and the weather was nice.  About a mile and a half into the race, I suddenly noticed out of the corner of my eye that someone was really close to me.  I looked to my right and there was this guy running next to me and saying something to me.  I had my headphones in so I had no idea he was talking to me!  I took one of my earbuds out and said, "Oh.  Sorry, I was listening to my music.  What did you say?"  He replied, "Oh I was just wondering if I could run with you."  What the heck?  I said, "Um, sure.  I run slow though.  And I need to listen to my music while I run" (lie, btw).  I put my earbud back in and looked over at him and he was still talking!  I took my earbud out and said, "I'm sorry, but I can't really talk now." He ignored what I said and started asking me a series of questions.  I was getting really annoyed because he was slowing me down, and I wanted to beat my personal record.  He asked me where I worked, whether I ran a lot, and he asked me if I was 21...that last question really threw me off.

Background: This guy was creepy.  I'm not into older guys.  This guy was in his late 20s, maybe early 30s.  He had yellow teeth and was running with a backpack.  I started to doubt whether or not he was really a part of the race or just being...well...creepy.  

Anyway, after he asked me whether or not I was 21 I put my foot down and said, "Listen.  I really don't want to talk right now.  I'm gonna keep running," threw him the deuces, and then bolted away. 

I ran my fastest 5k thanks to Mr. Creepy.  After the race, I grabbed a cup of water and booked it to my car.  I did not want to run the risk of bumping into him.  I told my roommate about this incident later on and she joked about how we shoud stage something like that for the next race to see if I can beat my new personal record.  Har har har.

No comments:

Post a Comment