Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

It Came and Went

As most of you know, I am a single spinster.  Valentine's Day is always a challenge every year.  I tend to forget that it's happening and then I am rudely reminded of its presence (people getting flowers delivered to their offices, cheesy jewelry commercials on TV, roommates getting all giddy about the "holiday", etc.).

Side note: I think that if Valentine's is going to exist, then we should get the day off for it.  I'd much rather be able to lounge around in my pajamas all day then have to roam around on a planet that is littered with paper hearts and romance.

Anyway, this year I decided to treat Valentine's Day just like any other day.  I went to work (ugh), came back from work, went for a nice long run, showered, and then hung out with my brother and family.  I'd say a day well spent right?  I'm proud of myself for not freaking out about the day and treating it like any other day.  Sometimes you need to just give yourself a break. Before I used to feel a little pressure about Valentine's Day.  It all stems from elementary school, when kids are handing out Valentine's, and all you get are the Valentine's from your best girl friends, your teachers, your parents, and that boy whose parents made him stuff a Valentine in everyone's boxes for popularity points.  There were always those girls who got Valentine's from boys that thought they were cute.  I was never one of those gals.  Fast forward to high school, there were Valentine's Day candy grams.  You could buy a Valentine for someone and it would be hand delivered to that person during the day in front of everyone else in their class.  It was kind of a symbol of your popularity or high-demand status (if you were hot then you would get a shit ton of Valentine's from secret admirers).  Once again, I got candy grams from friends, advisers, and that creepy person who probably sent you one as a big ole joke.  I used to feel like such a pariah on Valentine's Day.  Valentine's Day can take a tole on your self-esteem growing up.  It's strange that it causes so much pressure and stress even among young kids.  I look back at how stressed out I used to feel about not having a Valentine when I was younger, but when I think about it now...I really don't understand why I gave a damn.  It really doesn't matter.

The day is solely a commercial, money-making ploy.  Candy, greeting card, and flower companies make a fortune from suckers who buy into Valentine's Day.  I don't think there's anything wrong with buying into a cheesy, corporate holiday, but it just feeds the tradition even more making it a bigger and bigger deal with each passing year.  Valentine's Day, I'm afraid, will continue to grow into a day of mass consumer spending: from the adults buying jewelry for their loved ones to little kids buying cards and candy for their classmates and crushes.

Would it be nice to get a box of chocolates or flowers from someone special?  Hell yeah it would!  But, am I going to let it bug me?  Nope.  I refuse to let myself feel worth less or not deserving. After all, it only comes around once a year.  It comes and goes as quick as lightning.  You just gotta remember to love yourself and look to tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment