Brianna Slater's LinkedIn Profile

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Pickup Lines


As mentioned in my online dating post (posted quite some time ago), I did not enjoy the online dating experience and I do not plan on returning to any site. That being said, I find the eHarmony dating advice columns extremely addictive! I can easily spend 30 minutes perusing the articles and mentally taking notes. After all, I have to store little details away for future use.
While I suffer no compunction about going directly to the site and finding articles of interest to read, the majority of the time my roommate forwards eHarmony emails to me (I’ve got to love my roommate).
In one such email, sent yesterday as a matter of fact, she drew my attention to an article called, “Pickup Lines for the Halloween Party.” Now, I had read their pickup lines to use at the gym – incredibly cheesy, but delightfully so. In fact, I would actually consider using some of those myself. Unfortunately, the pickup lines supplied to use at Halloween parties fell flat. I mean really flat. Flat like a dead bug. A squished, dead fly on your windshield.
I get that with pick up lines you are supposed to embrace the cheesiness, and honestly, I have no problem with an extra helping of cheese. But at some point, you have got to reel it in (case in point, my obnoxious babbling about bugs). 
If I were going as a pirate (a happy coincidence that I am not) and a man came up and complimented my ‘booty,’ you better believe I would 1. Probably laugh good naturedly– even though it is so overused and just bad, you have to give the guy credit for using it. 2. Laugh some more and 3. Find some excuse to leave. Red light! Red light! Not interested! (Quick detour to explain the ‘red light’ comment: One of the costume ideas my roommate and I had was a stoplight. I was joking that at a party I would flash ‘green’ when I was interested, ‘yellow’ signifying proceed with caution and ‘red’ as a flat out refusal. Back away!) Fortunately, I am going as a skunk for Halloween. I shudder to think what pickup lines will accompany this costume. Will they wax lyrical about my glorious smell (as a skunk, not me personally. I felt the distinction necessary)? Or perhaps gush over my lovely markings?
Despite my sarcastic remarks concerning the Halloween party pickup lines, I actually condone (enjoy? don’t mind?) pickup lines. Let me give you an example (provided, of course, from eHarmony):
“’Excuse me, but you have something on your face,’ (when she goes to wipe it off you stop her and say) ‘No, no leave it. It’s beauty.’”
Okay, so I know, super cheesy. But I can’t help it! I find this very endearing. I stumbled upon it after writing the first draft of this post last night and knew that I had to include it. It immediately brought a goofy smile to my face (the one where your eyes gaze into the distance dreamily and you can’t help the smile that forms) and I had to admit that this line would totally work on me. I would probably start laughing – a little self consciously – and then try to get to know the guy. So if there are any guys out there reading this and you somehow miraculously find me, use this pick up line!
Back to the point I started to make: cheesy pickup lines can be good. I think that there is so much tension surrounding approaching a woman, or a man, that a fun, silly pickup line can lighten the mood and demonstrate that you have a sense of humor. Granted, I don’t want it to appear as if you brushed up on your book of pickup lines before heading out for the night and are testing its success level on me; however, the Lord knows that dating needs to be a lot more fun than it is…or than I think it is.
What are your thoughts on pickup lines? Or as they say on Fashion Police, Gotta have it? Or make it stop?

No comments:

Post a Comment